Thursday, November 09, 2006

The Sun Also Rises....

Well, Allen finally conceded and so I feel comfortable posting.

Congratulations, America, you have taken the first bold step to reclaiming our democracy.

Democrats, I give us all 24 more hours to gloat, and then we have to get down to the hard work of leading by example.

I don't think we should be entirely fixated on Iraq, however. Remember, the majority of votors were concerned about corruption. The real mandate is for investigations, and I for one don't want us to get out of Iraq until we have some hard facts about why we are there in the first place.

I don't want Democrats shouting for impeachment, I want Democrats shouting for oversight and long overdue investigations, which I am confident will turn up so much awful truth that even Republicans will want this guy impeached. So that's what I think the plan should be. Get the truth, get the facts, let the truth and the facts speak for themselves, and let those who were duped go after the duper.

After all, for the last three years Bush has openly admitted to impeachable offenses as a point of pride. The nation has spoken, they want the accountability he promised he'd bring to the White House in 2000.

Did anyone out there tape that press conference where Rumsfeld's resignation was announced? I didn't get it taped, but watched it. Wish I had it, especially the part where Bush admitted to the Press that he knowingly lied to them about Rumsfeld staying through the remainder of his presidency.

He lies. He likes to lie. And he keeps asking us to trust him. But now, after November 7th, we don't have to trust him, any more than the founding fathers thought we should trust any leader...which is why they so carefully crafted seperation of powers and a system of checks and balances. And a free press. Let's not forget the free press.

Today...for the first time in many years...Archie Levine has a song in his heart and hope on his mind.

Happy Days Are Here Again.

1 Comments:

Blogger Snave said...

"I don't want Democrats shouting for impeachment, I want Democrats shouting for oversight and long overdue investigations."

Amen.

I don't think the election results were a mandate for the Democrats to try and push a liberal agenda through the House and Senate. I think it represented a cry for accountability and responsibility. My greatest political hope right now is that Nancy Pelosi and her fellow Dems realize this. If they try and do too much too quickly, there will be a backlash... and in two years, we could be back where we have been for the past six years. Can you imagine the GOP in control of the House and Senate again, with John McCain in the White House?

You are right, the time to gloat has passed, and while the Dems should keep smiling, they should also be getting to work.

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home