Tuesday, January 11, 2005

This Dog Ain't Dead

Ok....over the holidays I came down with pneumonia, Christmas Eve a close relative died, New Year's Day I got attacked by a dog....I'd slid into a deep torpor from which I might not have arisen....I stared blankly with no interest in the news...I recognized this is one of the stages of looming death but it didn't matter.

I was overwhelmed by the Tsunami. I was dumbstruck that Tenet, Franks, and Bremmer got Presidential Medals of Freedom instead of fired. I was gobsmacked that more people want Dan Rather's head for trying to persuade America using fake documents than give a shit about George Bush doing the same thing with forged documents about Iraq's nuclear capabilities--even though Bush's forged documents lead directly to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people and Rather's only got 4 people fired. Rather admitted his mistake and apologized, but Bush never did. Go figure, I thought, took another anti-biotic and pulled the blanket up higher over my head.

I was saddened that our new Attorney General will be a man who said "I Don't Know" more times than Clarence Thomas did during his confirmation hearings, called the Geneva Convention a "quaint and obsolete document" and is a major figure in involving our nation in torture as national policy. The same man whose definition of torture would mean that much of what Saddam Hussein did wasn't torture, and yet the administration now uses that very torture as one of the justifications of the war. Go figure, I thought, had a productive cough and tried to go back to sleep.

I hated that Condi Rice is now going to be the person in charge of our relations with other nations and brokering peace in the Middle East. Go figure, I thought, and changed my bandages.

None of it could get me typing again....I'd given up. I had begun to accept that our nation voted in record numbers to validate this administration and grudgingly accepted that we deserved the spanking we were going to give ourselves because of it. I started to lie down.

I started to give up.

And then, this morning, someone poked this dog with a stick it just couldn't ignore.

Iraqi abuse was like act of "cheerleaders"

Follow the link to see full story which surrounds this astonishing quote:

"Don't cheerleaders all over America form pyramids six to eight times a year. Is that torture?" Guy Womack, Graner's attorney, said in opening arguments on Monday to the 10-member U.S. military jury at the reservist's court-martial."

I can't sit quietly and let that kind of statement represent America in the very courts we proudly claim set us apart from every other nation in the world.

I can't just go quietly into that terrible fucking awful nightmare.

And you shouldn't either.

YOU are the FLAG. YOU are the GOVERNMENT. YOU are AMERICA.

Is this REALLY who YOU are?

JUST SAY NO TO TORTURE. JUST SAY NO TO INHUMANITY.

Please say YES to JUSTICE and REASON before it is too late for either.

That's my prayer.

That's my hope.

That's what brought me back from the brink of the abyss.

Today, I return to regular blog and website updates. Today I'm standing up for what I believe and I'm living according to my convictions. (And maybe calling for an appointment for another chest x-ray because my prescription ran out and I'm still coughing up lung juice.)

What are you doing today?

Poke. Poke. Poke.

1 Comments:

Blogger Archie Levine said...

Thanks, Rhonda. I hate being broken up with.

Postings might not be as frequent as before the election, but the blood pressure is rising again, so I suspect the frequency of the postings will too.

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home