Friday, October 08, 2004

Just a quick post to let you know I'm not dead...Yet

Sorry I haven't posted since the Cheney/Edwards debate...There's been a whole lot going on and plenty to talk about, but I've been too busy to toss my pearls out into the swine pen the last couple of days.

Like, for example, I went to see a new play about John Brown and Robert E. Lee last night. It was great, but I couldn't help thinking that the author might get hauled away as a subversive by Homeland Security, because to me the play was taking a brave stand in saying that America had some fanatically religious terrorists of its own. John Brown was out there cutting people's heads off with broadswords in the name of serving God and abolishing the evil of slavery. It didn't matter if the people he beheaded were actually slave holders, only that they did not oppose slavery. He tried to start a slave rebellion by taking over the federal arsenal and armory. He looked like Bin Laden. He prayed a lot. It was a good play, but man...What a subtext!

It got me to thinking on the way home, as I listened to NPR and the final reports on the WMDs not being there, and how Bush could admit he was wrong about claiming there were WMDs in Iraq but not wrong about going to war over them.

I thought about how the person who has sworn off alcohol through sheer effort of will can't afford to admit a gray area because they might backslide. Then I thought about backsliding Christians and how it all makes perfect sense for a man who bases his politics on his religion to presume that everyone has, or should have, equal amounts of faith. Faith is the certainty that something is true even if it--especially--if it can't be verified. Faith. Bush has faith in Himself, Jesus, and the evil of Hussein's hatred of America in general and the Bush family in particular.

And then I thought about what Jesus said about lust...You know, the line that doomed Jimmy Carter, about if you look at a woman with lust you have committed adultery in your heart. Jimmy Carter, a devout Christian, admitted in a Playboy interview to having had lust in his heart.

And the penny dropped....That's the Bush Doctrine on Hussein. If you lusted after WMD, you have already stockpiled them in your heart...And that is why we went to war, and that is why Jesus would have voted the same way John Kerry did. Because of the Weapons of Mass Destruction hidden in Hussein's heart.

I get it.

Now, I'm going to go shoot myself.

Just kidding.

I'm not killing myself until AFTER the election.

Archie

1 Comments:

Blogger Archie Levine said...

Well, I'm not sure Recovering Alcoholic is the right term, because in order to be that you have to admit you were an alcoholic, or be diagnosed, which Bush hasn't, and you also have to be in some sort of treatment program like AA, which Bush is opposed to.

I think the term for someone who has a history of alcohol abuse but has quit on their own is "dry drunk" or someone who has stopped drinking but whose thinking remains clouded as though they were drunk.

There is a good article at CounterPunch on it hereAnyway, he is the only President I'm aware of with an arrest record, if he wants so much to talk about records. I also wish the whole Funeralgate thing would get discussed again....hmmm, maybe I need to revisit that in my blog for Halloween.

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home