Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Political Humor and Political Horror both start with "H"

10 Mind-Numbingly Stupid Quotes About Hurricane Katrina And Its Aftermath compiled by Daniel Kurtzman, complete with links to sources.

But, by far, the best quote came yesterday from Bush's mama, Babs.

Barbara, according to all accounts, was the real force behind shaping Georgie into who he is. Everyone says that George is Barbara's favorite. Let's just say the apple didn't fall too far from the tree:

"And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this is working very well for them." -- Barbara Bush.

File under: Oh My God.

The thing that keeps creeping me out is how closely the response to Katrina mirrors the conduct of the war in Iraq, and how Administration toadies keep saying things that directly contradict the facts...like they don't realize this is being covered here in America with 24 hour live news coverage.

Even to the extent that the AM Talk Radio people keep saying, "But who is reporting the good news coming out of New Orleans?" Not to mention the way Bush keeps referring to the Missippi Delta region as "That part of the world."

Uh, George, newsflash: You're President of "that part of the world".

And then, just when you thought it was a cynical bad joke told by the disgruntled liberal...it is announced that Halliburton is hired for storm cleanup .

And Limbaugh says that liberals are the ones hungry for disasters and death tolls in order to gain power through exploitation of human misery.

Dead to irony or masters of irony? You decide.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear sir--

But Mrs. Bush was right. If those evacuees were not in Houston, they'd be in NOLA. Dysentery, anyone?

If people can't (or won't) help themselves, they become dependent on others to help them. To complain about that help is ungracious.

Mikey

12:26 PM  
Blogger Archie Levine said...

I don't really understand your comment, Mikey.

The thing that I object to in the comment by Mrs. Bush is that these underprivileged people are going to be better off because of this disaster.

Sure, I guess I can see your point though. I'm one of America's working poor, what little I had has been destroyed. I'm either seperated from my other family members by either their deaths or circumstances which have resulte din their being missing, I'm without a job and only have the clothes on my back, which I've been wearing a week without access to clean water to drink, let alone bathe in or do laundry, I haven't eaten and can only hope when I get to Houston there will be a cot and some MREs for me and maybe those missing family members...and I don't know how long it will be before I can come home.

But thank God I don't have dysentary because I was evacuated to Houston.

Oh, woe is me, I have become dependant on the gubmint for a handout because I wouldn't help myself and get off the welfare in time to get a good paying job, vote Republican, buy a Hummer and evacaute before the levee broke.

My bad.

But at least I don't have dysentary. Thank the Jesus and FEMA for their tender mercies.

By the way, nice lasers, Mike.

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home